16.4.07

Langkawi


Spent eight days on the Island called Langkawi mainly hanging out, renting motorbikes and driving around with them and meeting some cool people.
Here's a set coming in with the ferry from Satun:




The island is a big tourist attraction, because of it's status as a tax free island. Well, basically you'd want to go there for the cheap beer and cigarets, which in other parts of Malaysia are quite a bit more expensive.
You get nice views in many spots of the island, but its really so big that you have to rent something to get around. There is no public transport and so visiting the islands numerous sites might get costly with a taxi.
Osan taking a reflection pic:

The seven wells waterfall was quite nice, but I might go there after the rainy season to see it pouring down with full power:
Got my first experience of a natural waterslide:
Some views from around the island:

The guy who runs the bar of the guesthouse wanted to charge me 50c for hot water for my coffee, so I was driven to improvise: !D
On the morning I had to return my bike I decided to wake up early and go see the sunrise. This is how it turned out:

Along the way I found an abandoed viewpoint:


The Oriental Village:


In many ways Langkawi is very nice, but you can't help getting the feeling that it's built for the tourist and thus has a plastic feeling to it. Luckily, when I was there it was low season..
Going up the mountain with the cable car:





The beach where I stayed, Pantai Cenang:

Langkawi has interesting geological features. The rock formations were at times so interesting for me to just stare down on them for several minutes:

A!
Well actually I'm more of an autonomist, but the A works as well for it !)
From Langkawi I headed onwards to pulau Penang and Georgetown, from which I will hopefully do an entry from Bali, where I'll be flying tomorrow(the 17th of April). Currently I'm Located in Singapore at the campus of NUS.
See you later! I'm off!

No comments: