17.5.07

Penang

I like Penang.
Took a ferry there from Langkawi. It was a nice ride, but as so often the aircon was way too efficient and during the whole ride there was a Backstreetboys karaoke dvd playing. So I decided to stay on the deck, where the on this peculiar boat the engine roamed relly loud. Luckily I carry earplugs with me at all times.
Georgetown itself proved charming with it's little india and chinatown. There's certainly a historical feeling about this town.
Found a really cheap place to eat too. I loved their Poori set at only 1.5RM(0,3€). But allready being kind of anxious to get to Indonesia I stayed there for only two nights. I'd like to go back though.
Here's a set from Georgetown:







Rented a bike and drove around the island one day. Bumped into a fruit farm and got some pictures of the different fruits growing about. I have to say that the fruit that you get in Finland doesn't really compare. I just tastes lame compared to these you can get fresh and ripe here in the tropics:
The Durian fruit:
I have to tell you a bit about the durian.. I seems its a bit like smelly cheese or olives -you either love it or hate it. Needles to say -as a great friend of both olives and cheese- I absolutely love it! It's a strange fruit though. Its a motherfruit, so it has everything a human needs to survive, so basically you could go on and just eat durian. And the fruit is mildly psycoactive, so after you've eate it you just somehow feel really satisfied.. =) And the texture of every durian is different.. You never know exacly how its going to taste..
Pineapple:
Banana:
Jackfruit:Western mangrove:
Its a mudskipper:
Visited a waterfall and then went on to buy a durian and strolled to a northwestern beach to eat it and enjoy the sunset.



maybe as a summer cottage?



I also met a monitorlizard there. First I only saw it's tail, but with a childlike curiosity I stayed to catch another glimpse of the about one meter long creature and maybe a picture of it. Well proved out thet the lizard itself was curious about me as I cached it staring at me from different spots only to dive back in the water just before I could get a good shot of it. Here's a glimpse I got on camera:
Yup. Haven't been updating for a while, cuz' Ive been in Indonesia and the connections there truly suck. So now after a month there I'm spending two days in Kuala Lumpur. I'll be jumping onwards for a quick visit to Thailand and onwards to indochina..
Hope to do additional updating soon.

No comments: